7/24/2014

Admonitions: Part II

More from Buddhist monastic teachers.
With instructions from different people, pronouns shift.

Again, as explained more fully in "Admonitions: Part I", these instructions were directed at monks and nuns and excerpted from my translation of Admonitions for Monastics 緇門警訓.



--
Even monastics perpetrate grave errors . . . . behavior that can be even more offensive and deceptive.
--
I turn my back on justice.
--
I cover errors and promote my own virtues.
I delight in seeing misfortune befall others and mask others’ capabilities.
I lie, cheat and bribe, competing for gain and fame.
I contend over who is right and who is wrong, battling with people.
I appear to have comportment but that only adds to my deceit.
I harbor conceit internally and furthermore am lax and mad.
I immerse myself in laziness and indulge in sleep.
I am shamelessly miserly, jealous, and greedy.
--
It is best that we restrict our boorish and uncouth speech because they are ineffectual.
--
Questions should be impassioned and profound; it is not about twisting a few words.
--
Never give in to win reputation.
--
Never slight juniors on the basis of rank or seniority.
--
Always stay away from unkind juniors.
--
Never be obsequious to others due to an agenda.
Never reject others due to personal prejudice.
Never try hard to draw near those who are unkind; be kind and never detest those who are unkind. 
Never praise yourself for some capability.
Never speak ill of others without knowing much.
Never dismiss articles of law because the congregation objects.
Never blame others when slandered.
Never find fault with others.
--
Do not peek at women.
--
Observe the laws of the State.
--
The mouths of the [gossiping] assembly can melt gold
--
Endless contention becomes slander.
--
In contemporary times, five out of ten brothers speak obsequiously, flattering officials in the audience into decorating and building hermitages.
--
Monks above and below should unite. Each has his own strengths and weaknesses, so we should aid and cover for one another. Do not let outsiders hear about any ugly family business. Though such disclosures seem harmless enough, they do reduce faith in others after all. Just as insects on the bodies of lions eat the flesh of lions.



No comments:

Post a Comment